Lay people are an intrinsic part of the United Methodist Church of Chugiak. One of the ways you may serve during worship is as Worship Leader. The reader gives a distinct human voice to the word of God in the scripture. All adult believers, regardless of circumstance, level of ability, or position are welcome to serve.
A Worship Leader is asked to prepare and lead in these ways:
- Get a copy of the Order of Worship, available online by Friday of each week.
- Contact the pastor prior to Sunday if you have questions.
- Your role typically includes reading these parts of the service: Prayer of Safety, Call to Worship, announcing the hymns, the scripture (the pastor will read the Gospel when there is more than one reading), Prayer of Invocation or Prayer of Confession, and the Offertory prayer.
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to the Sunday worship service and meet with the pastor in the back of the sanctuary.
- Assist acolytes with lighting their torch.
- Enjoy yourself! Worship is a time of celebration!
To offer your services for either worship service, you can sign up online by clicking the button below:
Or you can contact the office by email or phone (907) 696-2353, or sign up using the form on the lectern outside the sanctuary. If you provide an email address, you will receive a copy of the bulletin in advance to give you time to prepare.